Sunday, March 20, 2016

Dropping OpenMRS

I've decided to drop the OpenMRS project. My two biggest issues with the project were the setup and the community's communication. The problem with the developers' setup is that there are many different ways to setup OpenMRS and some of these methods are outdated. The documentation for setting up is incomplete, which led me into issues I didn't know how to fix. Several weeks in I found success in launching a local instance of the reference application using vagrant -

https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/Developer+How-To+Launch+a+Local+Instance+of+the+Reference+Application

A friend also working on, and struggling with, setting up OpenMRS showed me this after communicating with the main contributor of the project. This method works very well, but it is not mentioned on the developer's setup page. All this is just to say that the online documentation seems to be outdated.

Finding issues to work on didn't appear difficult at first. The issues tracker made it easy categorize and find issues. The problem I ran into was the documentation on most issues and lack of communication from the community on the specifics of the issues.

The OpenMRS project is a great cause, and I would encourage experienced open source developers to join the effort. However, for a novice FOSS engineer this project was just too much hassle.


No comments:

Post a Comment